Call Us: 1-888-296-3059

Close this search box.

Call Us: 1-888-296-3059

Complete the form to schedule a free consultation with a traffic lawyer

By clicking "Submit" you agree that you will be contacted by a legal representative, participating attorney, or affiliate via phone, email or SMS (Msg & Data rates may apply) about your interest in finding an attorney. Consent is not a requirement of purchase.

If My Driver’s License Was Revoked in One State, Can I Get a License in Another State?

If My Driver’s License Was Revoked in One State, Can I Get a License in Another State?

Moving from one state to another, you might think you have a clean slate. A chance to start over from scratch where nobody knows a thing about you. That might be true in some cases, but not when it comes to driving record. Your driving records follow you because states communicate with each other and are interested in knowing how risky or safe the drivers coming into their state are perceived to be. Each state has limits on what they’ll tolerate, but you won’t be able to outrun the last 10 years or so of your driving history. So what do you do if your license was revoked in one state but you need a license in another state?

States Communicate So Be Honest

As mentioned, states talk to each other and share information on drivers. Because of this, it’s important to be upfront and honest with the new state. Give them as much information as possible, be forthcoming, and be professional. Showing them you’re not hiding anything can help you secure trust, and you may be seen as more responsible. You might not be able to charm your way into a license, but at least you’ll be starting on the right foot.

Revoked Licenses and Moving

Having a revoked license can be difficult if you need a new license in a new state. Sometimes, the states care more about the circumstances surrounding your license revocation than the revocation itself. If you had it revoked for something nonviolent, not related to drugs or alcohol, and relatively minor, you might be given more of a chance to get a new license. However, you’ll likely have to serve out any suspension or case-based requirements from your home state first. In other words, if you’re required by California law to serve out a three-year suspension and pay $500 in fines, you’ll very likely have to complete that suspension period and pay the fines before you can start over in a new state. This will most likely be true even if the new state agrees to give you a license.

Hardship Licenses

Even if your new state doesn’t want to give you a full license, you might be able to get hardship license. Hardship licenses are given to people who formally make the case that being entirely without a license would cause them undue hardship. For instance, if you didn’t have your car to drive to work you’d lose your job and your means of income, that would be an undue hardship. If you live outside of walking distance from the grocery store and didn’t have the money for regular public transportation or no such transportation was available, that might also be considered an undue hardship. Applying for and obtaining a hardship license can help you move forward without giving up the driving activities that you need to rebuild your life.

At Ticket Void, we’ve worked for years with drivers just like you. We help pair you with a qualified attorney in your area who is vetted and capable of helping you with your specific case. By entering just a few pieces of information about your case, we can find and email you the information of an attorney near you who is best suited to help you with your case. The initial consultation is free, so what do you have to lose? Get started today, and exercise your right to fight.


Ticket Void Form Submitted

Thank you for submitting a request to fight your traffic ticket. You will receive a call shortly from one of our representatives to verify your request. If you did not request a free consultation with an attorney or if it was submitted in error, please let the representative know.